Before you start your application
Please read the entry requirements in the eligibility section carefully before using the online application portal. Additional information is provided in the FAQs.
Applicants need to submit the following documents with their application
- Master certificate and transcript of records (if not in German or English: original AND official English translation)
- Bachelor certificate and transcript of records (if not in German or English: original AND official English translation)
- High School Certificate
- Curriculum Vitae (as a PDF document)
- Two letters of recommendation (Referees are informed via the application system)
In addition, we recommend non-native English speakers to provide us with proof regarding their English proficiency.
Degree certificates and transcript of records
The transcripts of your Bachelor and Master certificates or equivalents should contain the courses taken during your studies with the grades and credits obtained for each course, as well as an average grade for the entire degree and a grade scale. If any of this information is missing from your certificates, you are required to obtain an official statement from your university containing the missing information.
If you are still studying for your Master's degree you may send a bona fide statement from the university, stating the examination marks already obtained. In addition you should graduate your Master's studies no later than 8 months after the application deadline.
Letters of Recommendation
Please contact your referees in time. The reference letters are an essential part of the application and it is your responsibility to ensure that all documents including the reference letters are received by us before the submission deadline. Only complete applications received by the deadline will be considered.
English Proficiency Proof
The PhD training program offered by MUDS is in English. As such, we request applicants who are non-native English speakers to demonstrate their English language proficiency upon application. This can be done by providing us with one of the following information:
- proof that a significant part of your university education was conducted in English or
- a statement from your university or a supervisor on your English proficiency, or
- by providing certificates from English language tests that you took in the past 12 months (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, CAE).
After the application deadline, all complete applications are assessed by the selection committee. As soon as the reviewing process is completed, you will be notified whether you are invited to interviews which are held virtually.
Please see application schedule for a detailded timeline.